Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Am the Messenger


I Am the Messenger, Markus Zusak
Alfred A. Knopf, New York


Summary: Ed is a 19-year-old loser cab driver, who is only going through the motions of his life... he spends most of his time playing poker with his three friends, and hanging out with his dog, the Doorman. Ed is the son that not even his mother loves. But his life begins to change after he acts heroically during a robbery. After the incident, he begins receiving playing cards in the mail, with messages written on them, usually names or addresses. Ed instinctively understands that the scrawled words on the aces are clues to be followed, which lead him to people he will help (including some he'll have to hurt first). But as much as he changes those who come into his life, he changes himself more.
Here is a virtual summary you can watch.


Personal Review: I was amazed by this book! At first the language and some of Ed’s “fantasies” were a little much to take, but after a while the storyline and the characters took over and I couldn’t put it down. I laughed in some parts, and in others I wanted to cry. It was a really heart-warming and edge-of-your-seat story as Ed becomes the man he can be by helping others. I loved it!

Cautionary Note: Lots of language, and some male “fantasies” but an excellent book.

No comments:

Post a Comment